Sat, Sep 09|
Bulkeley Hill Preserve
Intro to Geocaching with expert AlphaDog
On this hike, learn to locate caches; about the tech; the rules, and etiquette with local experts. With your help, we will also place 1 or 2 new caches! Join us!
Time & Location
Sep 09, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM EDT
Bulkeley Hill Preserve, Bulkeley Hill Rd, Colchester, CT 06415, USA
About the event
*Rescheduled from May rain date, and back by poplar demand!*
Limited spots offered (max 15) so we encourage you to register in advance to hold your spot.
Geocaching is the world's largest treasure hunt! There are currently 1,000,000 active geocaches hidden in the USA, from beginner to expert level. Whether you want to know more or would like to know how to get started, this is the hike for you.
On this hike, learn to locate caches; about the tech; the rules, and etiquette with local experts. With your help, we will also place 1 or 2 new caches! Don't be a Muggle*! Join us!
The guides encourage you to sign up for the geocaching.com app ahead of time so you can see the cache coordinates, descriptions and hints on your phone.
If you already have a geocaching GPS device, bring it along. (Optional)
This is an all ages, family friendly event but will be an instructional hike with lots of stops and waiting, so it may not be appropriate for smaller children.
Your guides: Joe and Joni Aveni are the experts! Joe (geocaching.com handle: AlphaDog) and Joni have located (and placed) over 50,000 caches around the USA and beyond. They have previously placed 7 geocaches on Bulkeley Hill Preserve (with Land Trust Board permission).
Host: Liza Sivek, Board Member
MEET UP: At the gravel parking lot for Bulkeley Hill Preserve, by the trailhead sign.
- Please dress appropriately for the weather, wear appropriate footwear (closed toe, sneakers, hiking boots suggested). Sunscreen for all seasons, bug & tick sprayfor most seasons, are strongly recommended.
- Bring water for all members of your family, including four-legged ones.
- This hike is family friendly. All children must be attended by their family or they will be drafted to become small forest rangers for the CLT. Just kidding, please keep an eye on children for their safety and for wildlife safety. Please note that trails are not stroller friendly.
- This hike is dog friendly. Dogs, please keep your humans on a leash at ALL times and be sure they bring waste bags. All waste must be disposed of off the Preserve property, no trash cans are available.
DIRECTIONS: Bulkeley Hill Preserve is located on Bulkeley Hill Road, Colchester, CT. The parking lot is located directly across the street from the private mailbox for 243 Bulkeley HIll Road, which is good GPS address point to use to locate the preserve. From Rt. 16, Middletown Ave, turn onto Bulkeley Hill Road and follow approx. 1.7 miles. The full size gravel parking lot will be on your left.
- Please fill out the sign up form here and include the information for all attendees.
- Attendees 17 years old and under must have their waiver signed by a parent or legal guardian.
- For non-members, follow the payment link on the sign up form to complete your ticket purchase.
- Members of the Colchester Land Trust, free. Non-member adults $5 each, all kids under 18 free.
- Paid ticket refunds will be offered if the event is canceled or rescheduled by Colchester Land Trust.
If the sign up form link does not work for you, copy and paste this URL into your browser: