Sun, Nov 26|
Bulkeley Hill Preserve
OWL PROWL - back by popular demand
EVENT IS FULL! Join us for a fall Owl Prowl night hike Bulkeley Hill Preserve, Colchester looking for our nocturnal avian neighbors. 12 years and up, no dogs, this is a quiet hike. Limited to 20 attendees.
Time & Location
Nov 26, 2023, 3:45 PM – 6:00 PM EST
Bulkeley Hill Preserve, Bulkeley Hill Rd, Colchester, CT 06415, USA
About the event
EVENT IS FULL! NEXT OWL PROWL APRIL 2024!
Join your hosts, Liza Sivek and Russ Moore, CLT Board Members, for Happy Hour Owl Prowl Hour under the (almost) full Beaver Moon at Bulkeley Hill Preserve on Bulkeley Hill Road, Colchester CT. Sunday, November 26, 3:45 PM. Save your spot now! LIMITED TO 15 ATTENDEES, and due to the popularity of this event, there may not be room for walk ins!
We will meet at the Bulkeley Hill Preserve parking lot before dusk, at 3:45 pm, for happy hour snacks, cider and hot cocoa (or bring your own beverage). Bring a fold out chair or blanket to sit on if you would like. We discuss the different wildlife we may see and hear in the preserve.
We will follow that with a moonlit hike through the BHP trails and look for signs of owls and other nocturnal wildlife. Plus, see our own Colchester trails from a different, autumn, night time view.
As the sun sets (expected to be by 4:22 PM that evening) we will hit the trail and use the sound app with a blue tooth speaker to call our local native owls (there are many!) and see if they reply and join us as we hike. Aproximate length of trails is 3 miles, but we may not travel all of it, since it will be a slow hike.
- HARD LIMIT of 15 attendees. Open to the public, Registration required. Please register at the ticket link, then return to this page to sign the digitaL waver and pay for your ticket (for non-members).
- CLT Members free, Non-members $5, all kids under 18 years old are free.
Directions: For the GPS, use 243 Bulkeley Hill Road, the preserve lot is directly across from the mailbox at that address. The parking lot is a gravelled space for several cars. We will meet on the grassy area.
From Rt. 16/Middletown Ave, turn onto Bulkeley Hill Road and go about 1.5 miles, the lot will be on your right. From the East Haddam line where O'Connell Rd turns into Bulkeley Hill Road, go about a quarter of a mile and the lot will be on your left.
- Adults , Children 12 and up welcome. Sorry, in the past many younger hikers just couldn'tcontain their excited chatter enough - and whoooo can blame them? We will plan a younger kids version of this hike soon!
- NO dogs for this hike, please.
- Please dress for the weather and wear appropriate boots or sneakers.
- Tick protection is strongly suggested in all seasons.
- Moderate elevation, non-groomed dirt trail with rocks and roots. Low light or red light flashlights and lanterns are OK, but please no bright cell phone lights or bright LED headlamps and flashlights on this hike. This is to encourage wildlife to stay in sight.
- Cameras (with no flash) and a fascination with nature encouraged.
- A separate waiver for each guest is required, minors (under 18) must have their own waiver completed and signed by their legal parent or guardian.